Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Weekend with Nana and Papa





Nana and Papa (a/k/a Brian's parents) came to visit us this weekend, and all had a great time! We gave our nanny the day off on Monday, so Nana and Papa got a day ALL to themselves with Sammie B :o) We also had a physical therapy appointment Monday night, so Nana got to participate! And, it turned out to be one of our most positive sessions ever :o) Sunday night, I was helping Sam sit and let go for about 10 seconds . . . which was her record. We were excited to tell our therapist Monday and hoped Sammie would show her how great she was doing . . . and she did! We think she was showing off for Nana b/c she sat for 30 seconds SEVERAL times (the PT said sometimes, if it happens just once, its a fluke, but this was no fluke - Bean is getting stronger!) She did this while me, Brian, Nana and the PT all sang and clapped. She just sat there, looking at each of us, in total wide-eyed wonder. So, it was a great session. I know there will be ups and downs, and so I'm trying to not get my hopes up too high (baby steps!) b/c the progress may be slow and steady, but this is definitely big news!

Our nanny thought she sat really well today too, and tonight she did once for us, though we tried working with her again around 7:30 and she would have nothing to do with it -- too close to bottle/bedtime! This has been such a surreal experience. I know someday we will just look back at this time fondly, and really, we don't know what it's like to have a baby that doesn't need all this "practice" but sometimes I do feel like it runs our days (and I know that ANY baby runs the new parents life, so that's not what I mean . . . I guess I just worry that all the stuff we "have" to do with her will get in the way of remembering to just stop and smell the roses with her during her short time as a baby!) But, we really have to be conscious of how much time we spend running around b/c its important that Sam not spend too much time just sitting in a stroller/car seat, etc. So, we try to work in the "exercise" sessions throughout the day and becoming part of our routine!

Brian and I have big plans this coming weekend . . . friends are baby-sitting while we go out to lunch and a movie. Brian has really pushed for this, and I've been hesitant. Ever since Sam was born, I've had a really hard time leaving her. I still feel like the NICU experience robbed me of time with my baby and I know I HAVE to get past that. On top of that, I feel like I spend enough time away from her all week that the last thing I want to do on the weekend is leave her again. In spite of all of that, I know its important that we take time for us, but honestly, sometimes I just feel like b/t work and Sam, there's nothing left at the end of the day for ME much less US. But, we shall start trying to make time for that . . .I know this is all totally normal -- new dads wish their wives would "let go" a little and the new moms find it especially hard to do. Hopefully we find a routine that works. We've had SO SO many ups and downs, I'm just hoping we are able to hit cruise control for awhile, particularly after we get over the surgery hump.

Brian's parents and my mom are all coming back in just a few weeks for the surgery. We are lucky to have two sets of grandparents who would come at the drop of a hat if we just ask . . . no amount of money, inconvenience, etc. could keep them away! Someday, Sammie will know how lucky she is too :o)

And now, I must sign off and work . . . . going to be a late-nighter!

No comments: