Sunday, January 3, 2010

Resolutions and Inchstones

I read several blogs in my spare time (some that are linked on my page, and a few others I just haven't gotten around to adding to my google reader). I find that following other parents (and kiddos) on their journeys, as diverse as they are, is both comforting and inspiring. This year, a few of my resolutions come from these other bloggers.

This year, I promise to pay attention to the "inchstones" and forget about the "milestones." I will think in inches and remember each inch we move forward is an inch to be grateful for.

This year, I will try to be the best attorney I can be, but also not beat myself up every time I feel the struggle between being the best mom, best wife, and the best attorney. Each day I will do my best at each, and be proud of that.

This year, I will try to be more patient. With my life and with people, particularly my husband (he promises to do the same . . . neither of us are the most patient people on earth!).

This year, I will try to remember that yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, and today is a gift. I will work at living for today, and not being so consumed by questions about the mystery that tomorrow holds that I forget to enjoy the moment. I will stop constantly trying to prepare myself for "worst-case scenarios" that may never happen and enjoy the scenarios before me.

This year holds so very much promise, and I can't wait to watch it unfold . . . moment by moment, inch by inch.

And, here is a picture of an "inchstone" I caught today. (For those of you whose children have not gone through physical therapy or had any motor issues, this picture is a big moment because Sammie B is comfortably SIDE SITTING which is a dynamic sitting position that allows kids to move out of that position and into crawling. She generally HATES sitting like this, but today I caught a happy side sitting moment on camera :o))

INCHES. That's all we need.

1 comment:

Adelaide Dupont said...

Hooray for inchstones!

(Says she who thinks in metric).

And go the Bean for how she's sitting.